Saturday 2 March 2019

Gaming goals - February update




February has been a bit slow in ticking off boxes on my games goals chart.


Painting


Finished the fyrd! In time for the next Dux game later this month.



Had a pleasant evening of glue and plastic as the local What a Tanker gang seeks to increase its 1:72 options for the next battle: added: 2 T-34s, 2 Stug IVs, a Lee/Grant and a Semovente 75/18. Next episode: spray cans



Also got a bunch of 15mm tanks built and sprayed: Crusader, Shermans, Stuart and Matilda. Can be used to oppose my Italians in What a Tanker,

Got some work done on the Italian 47mm antitank guns for Flames of War.




Playing


Got in my game of Dux Brittanniarum, with the fresh fyrd doing as well as they could be expected. Still, it's a tough campaign for my warlord, Wealdhere, while the Vikings seem to have all the fun. The tables will have to turn somewhere soon or Wealdhere will lose his king's confidence.




U-Boot arrived early in the month, so that's now on the list to play. I put it on the list for the holiday in early April. Given the size of the rule book, it will require some homework before I can set sail.

I did play some board games, but none from the list.


Projects



PolderCon happened, and it seems a lot of the 140 participants enjoyed it. That's good. Given that I want to spend less time organising and more time playing I decided that I would step down from the organising committee.

Now wondering what game to host next year. I noticed a lack of games using 15mm minatures or smaller, which I think is a shame. On the one hand Hordes of the Things might be good to introduce people to the De Bellis Antiquitatis family, and I don't have to worry about painting. DBA itself is also interesting, but that would require painting (there's 6mm Carthaginian army lying around somewhere) and finding an opposing army.

An alternative would be U-Boot or 7TV since those kickstarters should attract some attention because of newness. The latter also requires painting, but probably more terrain as I can use some near future stuff I already have.

But I also made the brave decision to go ahead with project Skavendome (although not setting a deadline). To prevent my slow painting proving a bottleneck, this has been avoided by buying up a sizeable collection of painted Skaven. It will also ease development of rules and playtesting.


Decluttering


I managed to sell my Prussian Napoleonics to somebody who will actually use them, so that's a win-win. There's still a few stragglers that I need to finish.



However, I did buy some more stuff at PolderCon: a couple of 1:72 additions for What a Tanker, some palm trees as desert terrain for my FOW Italians. And some other stuff helping out Bad Squiddo's move from general shop to focus on her own miniature lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. Let me know what you think!