Saturday 2 March 2013

Birthday list

I've drawn up a list of stuff I would like for my birthday. It's a few months in coming, but since I never have an idea when the question is asked, I now have collected a few things, from the mundane to the slightly silly. I may add new things later, but this seems at least enough for now.



Martin Bossenbroek, De Boerenoorlog
A history of the Boer War from the Dutch perspective, which is very different from the British. When I was a student I did work for this guy, collecting street names connected to the Boer War. I now live in just such a neighbourhood.




Dick van Galen Last. De Zwarte Schande
A book on African soldiers in Europe in WWI, not only looking at their recruitment and role in combat, but also on the social impact of black men 'at loose' on a different continent. Since I hope to some day finish my French colonial troops for Through the Mud and the Blood I'm highly interested in this.



Nate Silver, The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail — but Some Don't
I love Nate's blog FiveThirtyEight which does such good work on US elections. As a wannabe scientist, the business of predictions is endlessly fascinating.




Delicious cookbook
I used to buy the magazine occasionally and always liked the recipes. Special, but manageable for an untrained cook like me. It is easier on my shelf space if I get the book.

Electric toothbrush 
Yup, I can actually use two


 Hermann, Jeremiah comics
When I was in primary school I´d spend rainy wednesday afternoons in the local library and read comics. I was quickly bored with the kids´stuff and went on to the adult French stuff, like MacCoy, Blueberry and Simon of the River. But I never read the post apocalyptic Jeremiah series until I picked up a single copy a few years back. It was very good and really gets the mood right.



 Lead Adventures miniatures, The Last Project
These guys make beautiful minis, and their post apocalyptic Last Project series nails the genre.



 Joe Jackson, Beat Crazy.
For me this is his best album, more angry than ever, less polished than later and as good songcraft as anything. Although not a commercial success, the album is great for its combination of punk, ska and reggae (not particularly rare at the time). I used to own it for a while but gave it away, to a girl of course (no didn't work), thinking I could easily find it again, but NO! I keep looking out for it occasionally, but haven't tried online.

Just a taster: called B.I.O.L.O.G.Y.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. Let me know what you think!